20 February 2009

A letter to a friend

Dear friend,

I don’t know how to express my feelings other than write you this letter. I’m very upset that you haven’t made an effort to meet our child since he was born. Jack is now 9 months old and his parents are very disappointed in you and your family. We have been friends for over 12 years and I expected much more out of you.

You and your husband have two lovely, well-mannered, adorable children that we love and miss dearly. When your oldest was born over 5 years ago, I visited you and him in the hospital and in the ICU, which made me feel so special to your family. Every holiday, birthday or family gathering that I was invited to I showed up. I did this for you. I did this because I love you and our friendship.

When Jack was born and we had thought about whom we’d want our child to grown up with if we weren’t on this earth anymore (or either of our parents); we knew that you and your husband would be that family for him. We knew that he would be loved, raised similar to our understandings and beliefs, and turn out to be a well rounded young man.

Since we live about 45 miles from each other I understood that traveling with two small kids wouldn’t be easy but it shouldn’t be impossible either. A couple of weeks ago we touched based by phone and you apologized for your lack of trying to visit us. I accepted your apology and you had suggested that you want to visit. We set aside two days that would work and after committing I was sure things would work out. However two days prior to that day I received a voicemail saying that you wouldn’t be able to make it yet again. To be honest I was pissed and I didn’t even listen to your entire message, I just deleted it.

At first I was mad, why would you do this? Are we not important to you? Do you think this makes our friendship okay? Would God be okay with your decision?

To be honest I’m not dwelling on the situation anymore between us as I will not wait for you to do what is right. That time has passed. I’m disappointed in you my friend and I am not sure how you can even make this right anymore.

All our friends and family had come to visit us in the hospital, we there for 4 nights, or visit us at home . Do you know how embarrassed we felt when our family would ask if you visited yet? What a horrible feeling.

Again, I wanted you to know how I was feeling about your decisions. I hope no one ever puts you in this position as you have me. I will not contact you, I will not continue to be the one to try and work this out as I’ve done nothing wrong.

 

Notes to the readers:

*I will not be mailing this letter as my friend as she recently moved and she didn’t share her new address with me and she doesn’t have email.

*I just needed to vent and get this off my shoulders.

Thank you for reading…comments are welcomed!

4 comments:

  1. Hmmm...you are brave to post this one dear. However, your feelings are very clear.

    ReplyDelete
  2. we already have so much in common. just by reading your letter, we have both done pretty awful. I'm adding you & cant wait to read more on your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. no! your entered five times too! just my annoymous people b/c they dont have blogs lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Erika, I am so sorry that you have been put in this situation. I recently had to say goodbye to a once very dear friend and even though it is difficult, sometimes it is just better to let go and move on. I love your blog, btw!

    ReplyDelete