05 August 2009

I do not LIKE it.

My husband lost one of his uncle's last week due to cancer. He was diagnosed just 6 months ago and his cancer was so advanced that treatment was not working! My husband and I went went to Tallahassee for his viewing and his funeral. It was truly an emotional two days. Too see all his family gathering to celebrate his life, his wife, his daughter, and two granddaughters was wonderful but yet heartbreaking and he was only 56 years old. We appreciate that we saw him just 4 weeks ago at the family reunion.

After these two days I realized that I don't like attending the viewings. For the person who you are mourning looks nothing like the body they show before you. Why would you want to remember your loved one this way? I think it's much more emotional on the family to see him this way.

In the past 15 months, we've attended 3 viewings and funerals. So I have defiantly have had too much in a short time.

When I was in my early twenties I lived with a roommate and she took me to visit her father at his grave site. This truly freaked me out. I never remembered going to a grave site to visit anyone I knew. I guess I was under the impression that everyone was cremated. So here I am walking through the cemetery trying not to step on anyone. I walk around their would be body as I don't want any harm to follow me home. Talk about superstitious...I do the same when we visit my husbands grandparents at their grave sites too.

I'd like to be remembered as I am today and when I do pass for my family not to have a viewing as I want my organs to go to those who need them and let my ashes be passed on.

1 comment:

  1. yes, this is a part of life that you were not exposed to growing up. remember my ashes are going to be spread in Maui on mile marker 11 on the way to Hana!

    ReplyDelete